Watching raindrops in a lake or puddle can be mesmerizing. Each drop sends out a ring of ripples which radiate out from the center. The little waves keep traveling outward in wider and wider circles far from where they started. The little drop has no idea how far the reach of its impact.
Maybe this is what Jesus had in mind in his very last conversation with his disciples. Jesus told his friends, “You will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” Acts 1: 8 As Jesus said these words, he was lifted up and disappeared into the clouds.
Jesus’ time on earth was over, but God’s Word was going to spread farther and faster like drops and ripples from Jerusalem throughout the world as the disciples told the story. Many today still do not know the power of God’s grace. But even those of us who know the story of God’s amazing love, forgiveness, healing, and hope need to be reminded again and again.
Today I invite you to think of yourself as one of the drops, called by Jesus to witness. What do you say? How do you act? What stories do you tell?
To get you thinking, here are some of the ripples I have witnessed recently:
• Sunday school teachers, coaches, and mentors building lasting relationships with youth
• Confirmation students telling their faith story
• Care team supporting people going through illness or crisis
• School teachers going out of their way to help students with food insecurity
• Students standing up for someone being bullied
• Young people shoveling a neighbor’s sidewalk
• People committed to caring for the elderly and hungry in the community
• Church leadership spending countless hours figuring out how the congregation’s building can best minister in the community.
• Grandparents caring for grandchildren
• Foster parents providing security and love for children
• Nurses caring giving emotional as well as physical support
• Parents talking about Jesus with their kids
• Veterans caring for other veterans
• Young and old being a friend and truly listening
You my friends are Jesus’ witnesses in Plainview, in MN, and to the ends of the earth. With words and actions you spread the love, hope, and healing of Jesus wherever you go. Through the power of the Holy Spirit, the ripples of your witness spreads farther than you can ever imagine.